How will I know when it's time to replace my hot water heater?
The average hot water heater typically lasts between 10-15 years – depending on how well it’s been maintained, the quality of the original installation and water quality in your area.
Here are some tell-tale signs that it’s time to replace your hot water tank:
- Unusual delays getting hot water to your tap when you turn it on
- Water comes out of your taps looking murky or with a distinct colour or smell
- Water never really obtains a “hot” temperature even when the tap has been running for a while
- You quickly run out of hot water when performing typical operations such as doing dishes, laundry, showering, etc.
- You find puddles or leaks near the hot water tank
- Your hot water tank makes unusual noises while in operation
- The tank shows signs of rust either on the tank or in the water at your taps
To determine how old your hot water heater is, please view the product specification label on the hot water heater itself. On older hot water heater models, you can sometimes determine the age based on the date it was manufactured, or you can check your serial number with the manufacturer and ask them when it was built. Some manufacturers such as Rheem have incorporated the month and year the tank was built into the first 4 digits of their serial numbers for easy reference.
Call Waterloo Energy Products & Mechanical now at (519) 648-9977
MORE QUESTIONSHow does Photovoltaic Energy work? How much does a Solar Installation cost? What are the financial benefits of Solar PV? Are there other benefits to Solar PV? Are we too far north to generate Solar Power? Isn't it too cold for Solar PV? Will the Solar Panels produce power on cloudy or snowy days? What are some important things to consider about Solar PV? With Solar PV will my home have power in a blackout? Are there government incentives available for Solar PV? What is the Feed-In-Tariff Program (FIT)? Who is Waterloo Energy Products? What is a Geothermal System? How does Geothermal Work? Why should I buy a Geothermal System?